Always Getting Ready
Yup'ik Eskimo Subsistence in Southwest Alaska
Photographs from James Barker's book on the Yukon-Kuskokwim delta
Roll over images to enlarge them. Images with will reveal captions.
Seals' Month, Kittiwakes' Season
Lola Evan, Peter Evan, Wassillie Evan, and David E. David from Kwethluk.
Seals' Month, Kittiwakes' Season
- John Abraham and George Chimugak, Toksook Bay seal hunters, study ice conditions.
- Nelson Island hunters push through the ice toward open water.
- Thomas Akerelrea, Scammon Bay, seal hunting.
- Simeon and Paul John pull a bearded seal onto an ice pan, Nelson Island.
- Prevented from seal hunting by ice conditions, Willie Hanson, John Chikigan, and Richard Agayar, all from Alakanuk, fish for tomcod.
- Successful seal hunters return home to Tununak.
- Martina Phillip skins her husband Joe’s seal, Alakanuk.
- Women of a Tununak family conduct a seal party, in which a young man’s first bearded seal is distributed.
- Blaise Tinker and Tom Tunutmoak in a firebath. Scammon Bay. The grass mothpieces filter the smoke.
- Leonard Raymond of Stebbins butchers a walrus.
- Frances Usugan holder dried seal gut, Toksook Bay.
Birds Have Young, Breakup
Smelt Running Season
- Phillip Foxie mending a salmon net, Kotlik.
- Hauling water from snow melt, Umkumiut.
- John Joseph and Joe Lincoln pulling nets in bad weather, Toksook Bay.
- Clifford and Bernie Tom pulling in a plugged herring net, St. Michael.
- Sophie Amadeus covering fish, Umkumiut fishcamp.
- Louise Kanrilak braiding herring with grass, Tununak.
- Wearing a seal gut parka, Jesse Paul from Kipnuk collects herring eggs deposited on seaweed, Nelson Island.
- Herring on dring racks, Toksook Bay.
- Ella Tulik taking down dried herring, Umkumiut fishcamp.
- Clara Akagtak storing dried herring, Umkumiut fishcamp.
- Simeon Tulik watches Sam Anthony play Lappball. Umkumiut.
- Pulling barrles of rendered seal oil to the boat, Umkumiut fishcamp.
- Evening clouds over Nelson Island.
- Salmon drying at the Hoover fishcamp near Bethel.
- Charles Hanson salmon fishing on the Yukon River, Alakanuk.
- Cutting and drying salmon, Black River fishcamp
- Repairing a salmon net, Black River fishcamp.
- "Scare-gull" made of a qaspeq on a fish rack, Bethel.
- Pulling a beluga whale onto shore, Black River fishcamp.
- Mike Uttereyuk butchering beluga, Black River fishcamp.
- Mike Kaganak and his daughter Alice at Black River fishcamp, talking by VHF radio to Scammon Bay.
- Marie Hoover with her niece and nephew, Samantha and Nicholas, at fishcamp.
- Store workers offloading supplies, Sheldon’s Point.
- Byron Hunter, Elia Charlie, and Oscar Rivers, Fourth of July at Black River fishcamp.
- Helen, Maggie, and Shirley Wasuli picking salmonberries, Kotlik.
- Harvey Alexie, Mountain Village.
- Charles Phillip, Kuskokwim river pilot.
- Harpoon tip.
- "Chuki" (Lucy) George, Umkumiut fishcamp.
Ponds Freeze, Worst of the Moon
- Alan Hanson and Joseph Smith resetting a blackfish trap, Alakanuk.
- Bringing in firewood, Bethel.
- Storm in Bethel.
- Elvina Turner, a nurse, visiting Lucy Link, Bethel.
- Watching dancing at the Tundra Fest, Chevak.
- Kwethluk Health Aide Betty Guy with Molly Owens of Akiak, at Kwethlu.
- Pete Abruska and Sinka Sakar at winter trapping camp.
- Father Guest blesses the waters for a prosperous fishing season in the coming year, Napaskiak.
Time of Going Around, Time of Drumming
- St. Mary’s men receiving potlatch gifts of akutaq and frozen salmon, Pilot Station.
- Jimmy Paukan of St. Mary’s and Raphael Jimmie and Gregory Joe, Sr. of Mountain Village, drumming at the Pilot Station potlatch.
- Edward Aguchak with Scammon Bay dancers.
- Magdalene Hoelscher of Hooper Bay joins Joe Ayagarak, Jr. and the Chevak dancers, Mountain Village
- Martina John, Paul Agimuk, and Francis Usugan, Toksook Bay dancers, at the St. Mary’s dance festival.
- Kirt Bell from Hooper Bay sings "Goodnight, Ladies" as he leaves an evening of dancing.
- Mary Ann Sundown (left) of Scammon Bay dances with Helen H. Smith, Katherine Bell, and Magdalene Hoelscher, all of Hooper Bay, at Cama-i (greetings) Dance Festival. Bethel.
- Andrew Evan and Robert Joe watch dancers, Mountain Village.
- Norbert Beans, Mountain Village.
- Theresa Charles, Cama-i Dance Festival, Bethel.